Gen Z is the demographic after the Millennials. Although there is no exact date they are typically born from mid-1990s to mid-2000s. Most of Generation Z have used the Internet since a young age and are comfortable with technology and social media.
OK, how do we target to this group?
Gen Z are generally hard to target – techniques that worked to recruit, retain, and manage millennials won’t always work for Gen Z.- what we need to do is get to know Gen Z and their habits.
Thanks to oOh! we have a better insight into Gen Z in New Zealand. oOh! interviewed over 300 students across New Zealand and came up with some interesting information which will help us create targeted Gen Z campaigns.
Here are some key findings:
- 55% say they spend a lot of time on campus
- 47% agree that they notice brands that advertise on campus
- 79% like to be well informed about the world
- 75% find funny advertising connects with them the most
- 50% say they always recall OOH advertising
- 49% claim that advertising in shopping centres captures their attention with 47% of them claiming advertising in the Study environment captures their attention
- 96% have a smart phone
- 80% of them have a monthly phone bill that is less than $40
- 74% plan to travel domestically in the next 12 months with 51% of them planning for international travel
- 50% take out travel insurance before they travel
Finance / Banking:
- 69% have a debit card
- 72% do most of their banking from their phone
- 63% go to the cinema
- 49% of women will go to a shopping centre for entertainment
Fast Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG) Quick Service Restaurants (QSR):
- 81% claim they shop 1-2 times a week
- 49% eat takeaway once a week or more
- 47% have purchased cola flavoured soft drinks in the past month
- 49% like to consume drinks with healthy ingredients
- 57% agree they will spend a lot of time on campus during O-week
- Students flock in the thousands during O-Week